Thursday, July 7, 2011

I was an Angel of Death, and it was fun!

On June 18, I picked up a game with the Angels of Death (AOD) and it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.  It was the first game skating since skating with the Beach Brawl Sk8tr Dolls (BBSD) in August of 2009.  The bout was called "Schools out for Summer." We lost this one, however, I am certain every team member both borrowed, new, or veteran, skated away learning new strategies.  We skated against the Women of Mass Destruction, which is currently Memphis Roller Derby's (MRD) inter-league season champion.  The AOD held that title the first three or four years of MRD, however, teams change and they are currently short a full roster and borrowed a few PrissKilla Prezley's (PKP) to fill the void. 

This Saturday, in Jackson, Mississippi will be my second game back on the flat-track, and I am very excited about it!  The bout is called R2 BEATU, a play on R2 D2, and because the PrissKillas are fem-bots from outerspace, I think this will be a very fun bout!  The bout is hosted by WFTDA's apprentice league, the Magnolia Roller Vixens, founded by former Captial City Rollergirl, Rowdy Reeta Richochet. 

Magnolia Roller Vixens have supported MRD from the beginning, and it is so exciting to see their progress through the ranks of WFTDA.

Roller derby is a transient sport, and I am thankful for that.  It is refreshing to know that if I need to move to a different city, there will be a roller derby league there.  Rowdy Reeta and I skated as teammates together with BBSD, me as a BBSD and Reeta as a pick-up skater...it was a lot of fun, and I know I won't enjoy skating against her this weekend, but this is the sport of roller derby.  Play tough on the track, then play hard at the after party!

If you are interested in taking a trek to Jackson - you can purchase tickets here:  Magnolia Roller Vixens and on Facebook @ R2 BeatU



On July 16th, 2011, the PrissKillas bout again, this time against the Angels of Death.  This should be an exciting game too!  Support your local roller derby!  Tickets available on-line at: Memphis Roller Derby

Pin It

No comments: