Sunday, July 24, 2011

Scabs Knee Pads & Elbow Pad Review

I recently purchased a combination set (elbow & knee pads) of thin profile Scabs pads



My reasoning behind the purchase is because after skating for years in either Pro-tech or Triple-8's, which I find very bulky, I decided to try something new.  My main goal was to slim and thin down, because I do not get knocked down as much as being a newbie, which to me is a good thing. 

However, my goal of "trying something new," somewhat back-fired on me.  The Scabs Elbow Pads are very bulky and somewhat uncomfortable.  Although they provide ample protection, they are large and I believe predominately made for extreme high ramp skateboarding.

The knee pads are thin in width, and the padding is amazing...very protective.  However, not if you are wearing nylons or tights of any type.  I understand now why they call them Scabs.  We played a game last weekend, and although I managed to remain upright for a majority of the game, the few time I landed on my knees was somewhat catastrophic in terms of pad protection.  I think this is because I decided to wear nylons that day, a change from my normal routine.  Fatal decision wearing these pads and a scab is exactly what I received.




I'll give three stars to the Scabs knee pads for padding and strong Velcro that does not require duct tape to secure...but they receive a minus two stars for internal slippage while wearing nylons/tights that results in the loss of skin...for no good reason and a knee pads intention is to prevent injury, not cause it.  This injury should be one of outdoor skating, skin meeting concrete, but it is not.

In my experience with Pro-tech's and Triple-8's, this has never been an issue regardless what type of leg tights, nylons, or fishnets I have worn.

I do love my Scabs pads, but not the scab on my knee.  Live and learn. 

Recommendations if you own these pads:  Do not wear nylons that extend over the knee or wrap your knees before you put on nylons.

I am going to sell the elbow pads and have fallen in love with TSG brand, that easily slip on and off and are padded sufficiently.


TSG are reasonably priced and protect, without the bulk. Pin It

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im a street slider at knotts berry farm halloween haunt and i duck tape my pads onto my tights every night and the whole setup works great for me! These pads are the only ones we use for our stunts!!

Tasha Margette said...

Yes, after I broke them in they seem to work better, the initial use gave me scabs :(. They seem okay now.